In this tutorial, I have explained the easy steps to configure GUI for the RedHat 7 & 8 EC2 instance and connect to it using RDP clients.
Note: For RHEL 6 follow this tutorial. Setting up GUI on RHEL6
GUI for Amazon EC2 RHEL 7 & RHEL 8
There are three sections involved in the whole setup. Follow all the three sections explained below to successfully configure the GUI.
Note: This tutorial is tested on both RHEL 7 and RHEL 8 ec2 instances.
- RHEL 7 or 8 ec2 instance with minimum instance type of t2.medium. The GUI won’t load on smaller instance types.
- ec2 instance security group should have an inbound connection to 3389 port.
Installing GUI Components
1. Update the server using the following command.
sudo yum -y update
2. Install the gnome GUI components using the following command.
sudo yum groupinstall -y "Server with GUI"
3. Issue the following commands to start the GUI during boot.
sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target sudo systemctl default
Now we have all…